Wednesday 3 April 2013

DAY 2

Well for the first time in my life I have 'fasted'! Day One consisted of water and juices. I felt absolutely fine although I did notice I got slightly shaky a couple of times but it very quickly passed. If anything untoward had occurred I would have just stuffed some healthy solid food down me so no worries!

Anyhow, this morning out of curiosity I thought I'd weigh myself and I had lost half a stone! Admittedly this would have been mostly water but hey, psychologically, it was a BIG encouragement!

Yesterday I noticed a poster on my way home from work, advertising a well-known fizzy drink. I found myself looking at the image objectively and was incredulous as to how they can actually get away with producing something which  is actually harmful to peoples bodies. These drinks contain many of the harmful 'E's and also ACIDS plus a lot more harmful ingredients to boot. And we give this to our children, well I don't but many parents do. I remember being in a restaurant a few years back and seeing a mother giving cola to her two year old! But we are led to believe that this stuff 'isn't that bad' but the trouble is this stuff is made so that it is addictive, so people keep on drinking it. In years to come all this junk stuff will have to carry a warning label like cigarettes. The companies that produce it, must know that it doesn't do people any good?? Our systems simply cannot break down this stuff, our systems know how to break down fruit and vegetables etc and then utilise the nutrients but there is absolutely nothing our bodies can do with junk. Up to the age of about 40 I think we can 'kind of get away' with  the strain junk stuff puts on our system, or rather it isn't always noticeable  But there comes a time when if you aren't putting the right stuff in your body, you will start seeing the effects of that, which is what has been happening to me. I'm a comfort eater, food is what I use to perk myself up if I'm feeling a bit down, anxious or fearful. For others it might be cigarettes, drink or drugs but my preference is cakes and sweets. If I could get away with living on sugar and carb for the rest of my life, I would. But the simple fact is that I can't, no one can.

But all this processed food and drink is so socially accepted. Take today, I took my 3 and half year old to the hairdressers. He was sitting very nicely but the dear girl possibly was trying to avert any 'trouble' by giving him an 'orange juice' which was actually 'squash'...junk! Then she went out to get him a biscuit but I heard an 's' on the end so I followed her and said 'Just one will be fine' and she said 'there in a pack, there only small' and when she emerged with them there were two, not small but two big (10 cm's in length) biscuits, anyway I let him have one and we put the other one 'away for later'. He still hasn't had it! But I do let him have a  little of this stuff because I don't want to be completely regimental about it as he will just get obsessed and then I'll have a real problem. But he has never had a fizzy drink, he has probably had under ten ice creams in his whole life and about 3 penny sweets. Anyway, back to the hairdressers, she then asks me if he would like a lolly-pop ( she had enough sense to mouth it this time) I politely said no but in my head I was screaming: 'NO JUST STOP!!!' It was like being with the 'Child Catcher' in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang film, 'STOP TRYING TO POISON MY CHILD!'. No bless her, she really was sweet and meant 'well' but please NO MORE! Meanwhile my son is looking in the mirror, with his mouth wide open. I knew why he was doing this. It was because he was trying to see if any cavities were appearing after he'd eaten the biscuit. The other week he saw my husband and my fillings and asked what they were. So we explained that 'bad sugar' does this. He had just eaten a bit of cake and suddenly started crying and asking if he could brush his teeth. Gosh are our teeth that bad!!! ???. So that was why he was trying to peer into the deep recesses of his mouth. I half expected him to ask her if she had any toothpaste and a toothbrush.

I am trying to educate my son about good food which is 'good for his bones, blood and brain' and also that there is 'good sugar' and 'bad sugar', just want to make him aware so that he doesn't make the same mistakes I did.

Today I added some water to my juices, as according to Norman Walker it makes it easier on the stomach when you are fasting. On the subject of juices, I made the most delicious and refreshing one today which I am going to call 'The Beaufy Juice' and this is what I put in it:

                                                           'The Beaufy Juice'


I whole mango
2 apples
3 oranges
handful of Strawberries
handful of Grapes
2 carrots
2 glasses of purified water

Delicious...try it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment